FUAVE partner VTT has the following positions open at the moment:
1. Research / Senior Scientist, Connectivity of Autonomous Systems
See more information and apply here.
We are looking for a Research Scientist or Senior Scientist to join our Autonomous Systems Connectivity team. As a Research Scientist or Senior Scientist, your key goals are carrying out and applying for research and customer projects in the field of future wireless communication technology (e.g., 5G, 5G-Advanced, 6G), especially, focusing on vertical industry use cases, involving smart and sustainable mobility and transport systems. You will strive to find solutions beyond the state of the art and experiment them either in real experimental systems, including 5G and beyond test networks, or utilizing network modelling and simulation tools; or possibly both. You will also be responsible for reporting and communicating the results of your research to project stakeholders and to academic community.
Who we are looking for:
- You hold a M.Sc. or D.Sc./Ph.D. degree in telecommunications or computer science and engineering.
- You have demonstrated knowledge and hands-on experience in working with wireless network technologies, including, for example, 5G, LTE, Wi-Fi, C-V2X, mesh technologies, satcom.
- You have understanding of the operation and optimization (e.g., using ML/AI) of wireless and end-to-end communication systems, including, protocols and key applications, for example, TCP/IP, IoT, video streaming, and edge/cloud computing.
- You have good programming (e.g., C/C++, Python) and software development skills.
- We also appreciate prior experience from wireless system modelling, algorithm design, and use of simulation tools.
- You are dedicated to rigorous and innovative scientific work and have some experience in publishing your research in international peer-reviewed journals or conferences.
- You look forward to working in an international context, together with industrial companies and research organizations, as well as to developing your capabilities towards acting as a project manager in industrial and/or research collaborations.
- Mandatory spoken and written fluency of English.
As a person, we hope that you are:
- A fast learner, who can work in a flexible and independent manner and collaborate with colleagues across different fields of science and technology. We appreciate curiosity, passion, and the ability to take a long-term perspective and find beyond-the-obvious solutions.
- A problem-solver, able to work autonomously in an open research environment. You enjoy coming up with your own innovative solutions to problems and designing a methodology to test and compare them with the prior art.
- A good communicator, who takes pride in their work and does not shy away from sharing their results with their colleagues and collaborators through presentations, demonstrations, and scientific publications.
- Eager to apply your skills on enabling future autonomous systems such as self-driving cars and unmanned aerial vehicles or drones.
2. Connectivity Lead
See more information and apply here.
We are looking for Connectivity Lead to drive the creation of future customer and business solutions. As a Lead, you will steer the focus of VTT´s Connectivity research. You will act as a spokesperson for VTT’s connectivity research and development. You are responsible for the creation of new collaboration in the field of connectivity together with national and international partners. You are a thought leader with a focus on collaboration networks and new business opportunities. As a member of the research area leadership team, you collaborate and contribute to the success of VTT, our customers and partners. This role supports line management without direct reports. The location of the position is in Espoo or Oulu.
Our focus in connectivity research is on mobile network technologies and networking applications for vertical industries. The emphasis is on software-based solutions and open interfaces to support, for example, network virtualization, network resource management and air interface management. As a supporting asset we also have a testing and experimentation network which we build and develop intensively along with research projects.
The job is located in VTT’s Safe and Connected Society research area. In this research area we develop new digital technologies related to connectivity, cybersecurity, remote sensing and data-analysis. We provide top-notch services to the industry and work in close collaboration with the public and private sector actors. The commercial success in connectivity is based on our versatile knowhow in digital and network technologies, our unique research infrastructure and on our long experience of co-operation with related research organizations and industries.
With us, you will be responsible for:
- Steering the focus of VTT´s Connectivity research.
- Developing business models within connectivity research and technologies.
- Developing ways to commercialize new services and products developed at VTT.
- Seeking for new opportunities together with the existing research and business networks.
- Implementing new models for the existing and future customers. The success of the position is measured in the increase of number of new customers and increase of sales funnel.
- Creating and nourishing national and international collaboration networks with significant impact
- Acting as a thought leader in your own substance area and actively communicating and promoting the topic
- Generating business impact for selected IP portfolio
To succeed in the position, we are looking for a person with:
- Combination of an advanced technical understanding of connectivity related technologies and experience of leading B2B collaboration
- Demonstrated experience of at least 5+ years from the connectivity industry
- Demonstrated understanding of the types of connectivity challenges and opportunities that enterprise organizations are likely to face.
- Foresight of the connectivity sector future development, market needs and global trends
- University degree in Information & communication technology, Computer Science, Information Management Systems, or related field.
- Good leaderships skills and extensive business networks.
- Professional English and Finnish language skills (spoken and written)
- We consider knowledge of the R&D environment as an asset
- Wide professional networks (industry, research organisations and universities)
- Prior experience in utilising public funding, e.g., EU and Business Finland funding
As a person, we hope that you are:
- Passionate for innovation and technology
- Customer and network focused with business development mindset
- Pro-active and collaborative team player with the ability to form and inspire teams. You can collaborate successfully within external and internal networks.
- Able to see the big picture, to formulate business opportunities from different building blocks, and to build the bridge from planning to implementation
- Self-driven and ambitious with a “can-do” attitude